Code Of Conduct
EGLX is dedicated to providing a safe space for all attendees, exhibitors, speakers, staff, and volunteers. Our policies are designed to promote and enforce this environment, and all persons present at the event are expected to do the same.
EGLX has a no-tolerance policy for any violations of this Code of Conduct which are judged to be severe or repeat offenses, and participants who do so will be removed from the event, forfeiting their pass without refund, and will not be permitted to return.
All Convention participants, whether attendees, speakers, invited guests, staff, and volunteers are expected to abide by this code of conduct.
We insist that everyone who uses the space remains mindful of, and takes responsibility for, their speech and behaviour.
- Respecting physical and emotional boundaries. Always ask before touching or photographing, and avoid discussing topics that may be offensive or harmful.
- Please note that photographers employed by EGLX, and potentially local media crews, will be present throughout the event, and you may be included in their photographs or videos. By attending EGLX, you consent for photos, videos, and sound recording that include you to potentially be used in social or print media regarding the event. (These photographers are equally bound by the EGLX Code of Conduct.)
- Not using words that are racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic, classist, cissexist or ableist.
- Practicing good hygiene. Shower, apply deodorant, use common sense. (Spraying Axe all over yourself doesn’t count.)
- Throwing out all your garbage. Littering isn’t acceptable outside and it certainly isn’t inside the venue. Take special care not to leave food or drinks next to any electronics.
We do not tolerate offensive behaviour, harassment, destructive behaviour, or violence.
- Offensive Behaviour: Any conduct that demeans, marginalizes, rejects, threatens or harms anyone on the basis of identity, background, or ability.
- Harassment: Deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; harassing photography or recording; disruption of events; aggressive, derogatory, or threatening comments; and unwanted physical contact or sexual attention.
- Destructive Behaviour: Damaging or altering any part of the building, inside or out, including furniture, equipment, or other people’s belongings, or any form of violence whatsoever.
- Violence: Any actions meant to injure another person, or hold or transport them against their will. Such actions will be reported to the police.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behaviour by our volunteers, security personnel, or staff is expected to comply immediately. Anyone who engages in sustained unacceptable behaviour may be removed from the Convention, and will not receive a refund if so removed.
What to Do if You Need Help
If you witness or are subject to unacceptable behaviour, please approach any of our volunteers, staff, or security personnel for help. Your conversation will be held in confidence.
When you come to us with a problem during an event, it is our top priority to help you feel safe as quickly as possible. Then, we will warn or remove the offender depending on the circumstances, taking your and the community’s safety and wishes into account.
Diversity and Inclusiveness Statement
EGLX and its community values and recognizes diversity, and defends and builds equitable experiences. We are committed not only to including marginalized voices and bodies, but also to actively fighting racism, sexism, and oppression.
We welcome and advocate for the presence and contributions of all people regardless of their ability, age, body size, cultural background, education, ethnic origin, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, language, marital status, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliations, race, religion, sexual orientation, sexuality, status as a parent, socioeconomic status, choice of video games, or other such factors.
Prejudice, oppression, and discrimination are detrimental to the health and growth of our community and the individuals who are a part of it. Supporting the visibility of our diverse lives enhances the experiences of all community members. We recognize and honour our differences and vigorously defend the convention as a safer and equitable space.
- Be respectful of fellow competitors; cheer for your friends, but don’t boo your opponents.
- You are expected to be on time for all of your matches.
- You are expected to know the rules for your game(s), all of which are easily accessible on the EGLX website.
- Any and all disputes must be brought to your game’s Tournament Organizer (T.O.) or their staff.
- All players must report results to scorekeepers/T.O.s immediately, where applicable.
- Any attempts to hack or otherwise obtain an unfair advantage will be grounds for disqualification and removal from the event.
- No food or drinks allowed on tournament stages, in the PC LAN and Console tournament areas. (Water bottles are okay.)